Beagle Sniffing 45e50d41565004cc0565725777e82f96

It’s time to look out for chocolate toxicity

It’s time to look out for chocolate toxicity

With a large number of chocolate Easter eggs on the loose at this time of year, it is our job to remind you about the risk of chocolate toxicity.

Unfortunately, chocolate is not good for dogs! It contains a derivative of caffeine called theobromine and dogs have trouble digesting this ingredient and this leads to toxicity.

There will be dogs that are able to seek out any morsel of chocolate – big or small, wrapped or unwrapped!

It’s important to remember that ingesting chocolate can be fatal in some dogs.

As a general rule, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. This means dark and cooking chocolate are extra-dangerous. Toxicity is also related to the amount of chocolate eaten relative to the weight of your dog. Be aware that smaller amounts of chocolate may still cause a gastric upset. You can have a play around with this calculator here to help determine what may be dangerous for your dog.

If you see your dog eat some chocolate or even if you think your dog might have ingested chocolate, it’s best to call us for advice.

Signs of chocolate toxicity:

Hyperactivity
Vomiting and diarrhoea
Tremors, panting and a racing heart
Seizures
Treatment of chocolate toxicity:

In most cases, if we are able to make your dog vomit up the chocolate they have eaten before it is absorbed, we can prevent the more serious side effects. Dogs with severe toxicities may require a lavage of stomach contents, intravenous fluids and supportive care in hospital, including medications to treat seizures.

If you are worried about your pet you should always call us for advice.

Share this

Scroll to Top