Snail 0d1ec376468b1d6bc7ddad51a7c898c3

Snail bait is serious

Spring has sprung and with new shoots in the garden there may also be snail bait about.

Snail bait pellets look just like dog kibble so dogs often eat the pellets by mistake. Even so called “pet friendly” products are dangerous for animals.

There are three types of snail bait:

Metaldehyde- green pellets
Methiocarb – blue pellets
Iron EDTA (Multiguard) – brown/yellow pellets
Metaldehyde and methiocarb act on the nervous system causing increased stimulation and can be fatal if immediate veterinary treatment is not given.

Multiguard is less toxic but can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhoea, or may cause damage to the liver, spleen, heart, kidneys or brain. Treatment is still recommended.

Signs of snail bait poisoning to look out for:

Excessive drooling
Depression or restlessness
Rapid heart rate & panting
Vomiting & diarrhoea
Muscle tremors
Seizures
If your pet has ingested (or you think your pet might have ingested) snail bait, call us immediately for advice.

Share this

Scroll to Top