Lindt Bunny 20f7caefedb4ed0cf9abc09a09022cc7

Help! My dog just ate my Lindt bunny!

Help! My dog just ate my Lindt bunny!

Like us, dogs love chocolate and they are very good at finding it! Not surprisingly, Easter is one of the busiest times of the year for vets when it comes to chocolate toxicities.

If your dog eats your favourite Lindt bunny (the one you were saving for last), here’s what we will do:

We will ask you how much and what type of chocolate your dog ingested. This helps us work out just how dangerous the ingestion might be. Cooking and dark chocolate are the most toxic, followed by milk and then white chocolate.

The toxicity is also proportional to the size of your dog and the amount ingested. We use a calculator similar to this one. It is important to realise that any amount of chocolate can cause a problem so veterinary guidance is always recommended.

Next we will probably induce emesis (which simply means we make your dog vomit). This is usually done using injection under the skin or application of a medication into the eye. Vomiting tends to occur relatively quickly.

If we don’t feel enough chocolate has been vomited or if the symptoms are serious, a charcoal meal or enema may be given to help reduce the toxicity. Some dogs will also need further supportive care including fluid therapy.

Please phone us immediately, even if you only think your dog has ingested chocolate. We will be able to give you the best advice.

Share this

Scroll to Top