Keep your pet safe this spring
Spring is here and we want to keep your pet happy and healthy. Here are some spring hazards you should be aware of:
Bee and wasp stings can lead to pain and swelling at the site of the sting. Some pets can have an anaphylactic reaction to a sting and this can be life threatening. If you notice severe facial and/or neck swelling, difficulty breathing, excessive salivation, or collapse, you should seek veterinary advice immediately.
Snail and slug bait is very attractive to pets. Ingestion of small quantities can be rapidly fatal. Products that claim they are ‘safe for pets’ generally aren’t – they have a bitter taste and this only acts as a deterrent. Some pets will still eat these highly toxic baits, so consider whether they are absolutely necessary in your garden.
Fertiliser: Pets love the smell and taste of some fertilisers, and if eaten, they can prove rapidly toxic or even fatal. You should seek veterinary advice if ingested.
Poisonous plants: Lilies (such as the tiger, asiatic and easter variety) can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. The leaves, stems, stamen, and even the water the lilies are stored in can all be poisonous. Rhododendrons and azaleas, daffodil bulbs and daphne can also all cause a problem if they are eaten.
Hot cars: It doesn’t have to be that hot outside for a car to dramatically heat up inside. Keep this in mind as the days are getting warmer, and remember that it only takes a few minutes for a pet to begin to suffer from heatstroke. Parking in the shade or leaving the windows down doesn’t help either, so don’t risk it.
Parasites: With the warmer weather comes fleas, ticks and mosquitoes so it’s essential your pet is up to date with their parasite prevention. You should ask us for the best prevention for your pet.
If you have any questions about your pet’s health you should always ask us for advice, we’re here to help!