Here are our top tips to help prevent a Christmas catastrophe and keep your pet healthy and happy this Christmas.
Keep leftovers off the menu!
Don’t be tempted to feed your pet leftovers. Christmas dinner is notorious for causing upset tummies and nasty episodes of painful pancreatitis in our pets. Never feed cooked bones and watch out for skewered meat that falls from the BBQ – we don’t want to have to remove one of those from your dog’s stomach!
Be on hazard watch
Be on the look out for hazardous things your pet might find interesting. Cats love Christmas ornaments, electrical wires, ribbon, string and wrapping paper but all of these can cause major problems if ingested. Candles and burning oils are also dangerous. Remember that ingestion of stems, stamen or the flowers of Christmas lilies can cause kidney failure in cats.
Make festive plans for your pet
Give your pet plenty of love and attention over Christmas – it is a busy time of year and your pet will pick up on this. Make sure you plan out some fun for your pet on Christmas Day and remember to keep them safe and secure during festive fireworks.