There are already plenty of snakes about, and we have treated a number of snakebite cases so far this spring, so we are asking our clients to be extra vigilant.
Different species of snakes possess different types of venom and these can cause varying symptoms that appear anywhere from 15 minutes to 24 hours after a bite.
Early signs might include:
- Salivation (drooling)
- Enlarged pupils
- Hind limb weakness
- Rapid breathing
How you can help your pet survive a snake bite:
- Seek veterinary attention immediately, even if you only suspect your pet has been bitten. It is better that your pet is checked over rather than wait and be sorry
- If your pet has been bitten on the neck remove his collar
- Keep your pet quiet and still – this is critical to help reduce movement of the venom around the body
- Do not attempt treatment options such as cold packs, ice, tourniquets, alcohol, bleeding the wound or trying to suck out venom in place of getting your pet to the vet – they are a waste of precious time
NEVER attempt to kill, handle or capture the snake as you risk being bitten too.